Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hips Don't Lie and Lucky Socks

Okay, so it's been almost two and half weeks since I last ran. I had the sinus cold that hung on forever and zapped my energy. I might have been able to run a little sooner but I just didn't feel any strength or stamina - not an excuse, but a true listening to my body. However, my mind started playing games with me, like, maybe you aren't really a runner if you're not itching to get back out on the road, or, maybe your just a lazy person trying to go against your real nature, or, maybe, you're such a poor runner that now you'll have to cut back and feel like you're starting all over, or, maybe, just maybe, you're not really a runner so don't bother....
I noticed the last couple of days that my hips started hurting. This is what was happening before I ever started running. I couldn't believe it! I was 45 and my hips are hurting, isn't that something that might start up arouns age 70?? The beautiful thing is that once I started running, no more sore hips! So, when they started acting up a couple of days ago I knew I had to muster up the mental strength, tell that little negative voice to shove it

and get my running shoes on.

I woke up at 7:00 this morning beautiful, sunny weather +4
I got on my gear and told my self I'd do 5k as slow as I wanted to, wasn't sure how I'd feel but expected it to be a big effort. Well, lo and behold, I immediately felt wonderful even though the wind was blowing so hard it blew my hat off. A young runner passed me along the way with a friendly bit of chit chat which was nice. I was feeling so good that I continued on to my 6k route and finished up with a 6.55k total. Not bad for this newbie after missing over 2 wks. It's great how the body 'remembers' even when the mind tries to mess with you. Maybe I really needed a break.
This week I found my favorite running socks, well, the one that was missing to make a complete pair, maybe they brought me luck today :)
It's Thanksgiving weekend here and I do have much to be thankful for
Happy Trails,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment